Welcome To My Blog

Thanks for Visiting my Blog :)
I wrote my minds in here, I hope my articles will be useful for you.
If you don't mind, please, be my follower so that we can share our minds, thanks.

mylife-diechemie.blogspot.com
My Email: dertraum0127@gmail.com

Thank you for all participants supporting this blog. Especially the download link's sources and bibliographies.

I'm not an expert teacher or lecturer of chemistry. I was only a student from SMA NEGERI 15 SURABAYA who had been one of the Bronze Medalist Participants of Olimpiade Sains Nasional X (2011) of Chemistry In Manado, North Sulawesi, 11 - 16 September 2011 and graduated in 2012. Now, I'm studying at Universitas Airlangga in Surabaya, Indonesia. I do love chemistry and I would like to help them who had difficulties in studying chemistry. That's why, please understand me if you found some misconcepts in my entries. Suggestions are always necessary in order to develop this blog. And I'm sorry because my English isn't so well.

All posts are originally created by me. I never stole from any sites or somebody's blog. Although sometimes I took pictures or data from other sites, I always wrote the source of that pictures or data.


Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

The Documents

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Mother's Day Special Topic: Perfumes of Rose

(Source: http://www.desicomments.com/dc1/11/154971/154971.jpg)

Rose (Rosa rubiginosa) is a beautiful flower. Humans use this flower as accessories, perfumes, or to state their love for somebody. There are over 100 species of rose. Flowers are large and showy, in colours ranging from white through yellows and reds. Most species are native to Asia, with smaller numbers native to Europe, North America, and northwest Africa. I'm not an expert in symbolism, I will explain Rose in Chemistry.

The components in Rose usually used by humans as perfumes. There are: Geraniol, Citronellol, Rhodinol, Citronellal, Damascone, etc. We will see the beautiful chemistry behind the beautiful roses.


1. Geraniol


Geraniol (3,7-Dimethylocta-2,6-dien-1-ol) is a compound that consist a monoterpenoid and an alcohol. It is the primary part of rose oil. It is used in flavors such as peach, raspberry, grapefruit, red apple, plum, lime, orange, lemon, watermelon, pineapple, and blueberry. Also, Geraniol can attract bees as it is produced by the scent glands of honey bees to help them mark nectar-bearing flowers and locate the entrances to their hives. Although there is an alcohol in Geraniol, it doesn't soluble in water because of the length of carbon chain. In room temperature, geraniol is a liquid because there is two pi-bonds and an alcohol (Tb: 502 K).


2. Citronellol



Citronellol (3,7-Dimethyloct-6-en-1-ol) or dihydrogeraniol, is a natural acyclic monoterpenoid. Both enantiomers occur in nature. (+)-Citronellol, which is found in citronella oils, including Cymbopogon nardus (50%), is the more common isomer. (−)-Citronellol is found in the oils of rose (18-55%) and Pelargonium geraniums.


(Source: http://www.process-nmr.com/citron1.gif)

3. Damascenone


Beta-Damascenone ((E)-1-(2,6,6-Trimethyl-1-cyclohexa-1,3-dienyl)but-2-en-1-one) are a series of closely related chemical compounds that are components of a variety of essential oils The damascenones belong to a family of chemicals known as rose ketones. beta-Damascenone is a major contributor to the aroma of roses, despite its very low concentration, and is an important fragrance chemical used in perfumery.


Further Reading. . .
Wikipedia


No comments:

Post a Comment