Welcome To My Blog

Thanks for Visiting my Blog :)
I wrote my minds in here, I hope my articles will be useful for you.
If you don't mind, please, be my follower so that we can share our minds, thanks.

mylife-diechemie.blogspot.com
My Email: dertraum0127@gmail.com

Thank you for all participants supporting this blog. Especially the download link's sources and bibliographies.

I'm not an expert teacher or lecturer of chemistry. I was only a student from SMA NEGERI 15 SURABAYA who had been one of the Bronze Medalist Participants of Olimpiade Sains Nasional X (2011) of Chemistry In Manado, North Sulawesi, 11 - 16 September 2011 and graduated in 2012. Now, I'm studying at Universitas Airlangga in Surabaya, Indonesia. I do love chemistry and I would like to help them who had difficulties in studying chemistry. That's why, please understand me if you found some misconcepts in my entries. Suggestions are always necessary in order to develop this blog. And I'm sorry because my English isn't so well.

All posts are originally created by me. I never stole from any sites or somebody's blog. Although sometimes I took pictures or data from other sites, I always wrote the source of that pictures or data.


Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Monday, January 02, 2012

Stereochemistry Introduction


Stereochemistry is the branch of chemistry that studying about the geometry of atoms of a molecule. This branch is very needed in organic chemistry because of the chiral atoms. Before this science is learned, we didn't know what enantiomer is. Why I said like that? Just take an example: If the R enantiomer is an active drug that can heal your disease, there is a S enantiomer that is an inactive one that can poison your body.

One object that learned in stereochemistry is stereoisomer that divided into enantiomer and diastereoisomer. Enantiomer is one of two stereoisomers that are mirror images of each other that are non-superposable (not identical), much as one's left and right hands are the same except for opposite orientation. See the picture below:



Otherwise, Diastereomers (sometimes called diastereoisomers) are stereoisomers that are not enantiomers. Diastereomerism occurs when two or more stereoisomers of a compound have different configurations at one or more (but not all) of the equivalent (related) stereocenters and are not mirror images of each other.



In this post. I will tell you compounds and its stereoisomer.

Kimin, a Malaria drug.



Kimin, is a malaria drug. Meanwhile, Kimidin is a heart drug. I don't have any supporting data. If you have it, please tell it so that we can share to each other.


Oleic Acid
Oleic acid is a fatty acid that occurs naturally in various animal and vegetable fats. It is an odorless, colorless oil, although commercial samples may be yellowish. In chemical terms, oleic acid is classified as a monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid. It has the formula CH3(CH2)7CH=CH(CH2)7COOH. The term "oleic" means related to, or derived from, oil or olive, the oil of which is predominantly derived from oleic acid.

There's a double bond in C-9 of the compound so that this compound has E and Z isomer.



The E compound is a poison. Otherwise, the Z compound is safety to be consumed by humans. Just for an information, don't use your cooking oil repeatedly because it may produce a peroxy or ethoxy compound that is poisoned for our body.

An Example to Separate Cis-Trans Stereoisomer of Menthol



Esterification reaction useful to separate the trans compound because it only reacted with the cis. Not trans. This is happened because of the steric effect. Otherwise, the dehydration reaction can separate the cis compound because it only reacted with the trans compound (Trans - elimination).

Source:
Documents of Pelatnas I IChO 2012

Further Reading . . .
Wikipedia


No comments:

Post a Comment